Monday, March 23, 2020

Finding Peace in Preparedness

The real reason we are all hoarding toilet paper, I think, is out of a sheer desperation to feel like there is something we can do to guarantee our well-being. The nature of the current situation is that it is essentially out of our individual control, every day we wake up to more news, more unknowns. Yes, that’s the really hard part, we don’t even feel like we have a full understanding of everything that is going on.

I have found over the past few weeks, that I feel most at ease when I am at home on the farm. Outside with the spring sun shining on my face, beginning to awaken the farm for the growing season soon to come and away from the stream of news I am able to catch my breath. And preparing for the growing season to come, preparing to move closer to our goals of sustainable resiliency gives me the same feeling of comfort as knowing that I have a stash of toilet paper in the bathroom closet. Knowing that I posses skills and knowledge that my great-grandparents depended upon, but have since been abandoned my our society is a good feeling.

And these skills are not some secret. They are not reserved for people with acres of bottomland, they are not reserved for those with hours of free time, they are not reserved for people who are perfectly set up and ready to go. This skills belong to all of us.

So take control, plant some seeds in the spare time that you suddenly have too much of… It’s the best form of rebellion against a system that profits off of our helplessness.


No comments:

Post a Comment